What is Reader’s Workshop?
by Brooke Reedlunn
(Sample from a parent letter describing literacy education best practices.)
- Readers have time to read just-right books independently every day.
- Readers select their own appropriate books.
- Readers respect each other’s reading time and reading lives.
- Readers have daily opportunities to talk about their books in genuine ways.
- Readers don’t just read the words but also understand the story.
- Readers’ work in the independent reading workshop is replicable outside of the classroom.